Friday, March 22, 2013

Moon Behind Cloud Behind Tree

Solitary confinement is my worst nightmare. Prison. Being locked in a small room alone. Not the solitary part. I don't mind being alone, I quite enjoy it. But being spatially confined would drive me crazy.

Growing up I loved Gary Paulsen. A lot of his books involve a young man being isolated either by choice or circumstance. If I was alone in the woods, on a mountain, on an island: I could function. I might even thrive. Solitude could never push me over the edge. Never make me mad. Never make me lose my humanity.

A goldfish grows proportionately to the size of its tank. They react, adjust, and grow to fill the space. If I was locked in a cage I would become an animal. I'm not claustrophobic but I am deathly afraid of someone or some thing being in control of my movements. Of severely limiting the space I can inhabit. Being locked away I would lose my mind, I would revert to whatever prehistoric instincts have kept man alive for centuries, that thing inside me that makes me unique would break.

I have no doubt the moon is lonely.
Lonely and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment