Thursday, August 17, 2017

4th Anniversary

Four years ago today Nicole and I had our first date at Navy Pier riding the Ferris wheel. Today we took the day off and went to the art museum and out for a great dinner at Elizabeth Restaurant. It's been a wonderful four years, it feels both like a long time and no time at all.

We've had a couple challenges this year, we got burglarized back in December and had to move unexpectedly last month, nothing too trying all things considered but we've had to deal with some unanticipated stressors. We've also had some great times, special trips and events, cooked a lot more, and generally become more comfortable in our partnership.

For me, as the years go by I learn more and more what a relationship is and what it can be. And it boils down to communication and compromise. When things aren't going well it's because I'm keeping my thoughts, feelings, and needs to myself. Closing myself off out of fear or my own habit of isolation. Being inflexible about certain things I expect or anticipate or am willing to do. The importance of things need to be given voice and consideration. You can't hope for it to simply be intuited. The reality is that its a balancing, attention given to the individual and the couple as an entity in and of itself. Both need to be given weight. Things done separately, things done together. And the resulting relationship can be(is for me at least) incredibly fun and inspiring, a source of strength and comfort, something I lean on but not something I'm dependent on. Nicole and I take vacations separately and together, we go out with friends separately and together, we have varied interests. Parts of our lives are intertwined, other parts aren't. It keeps the partnership fresh and evolving. And our partnership has helped me figure out who I am, clarified and refined it, and who I want to be. I don't know what the future holds for us but I'm eager to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment