a classic
up there
with
could I get change for this $20
dependable
because it's human
plausible
At the Belvidere oasis
I stop to fill my tank
and a boisterous broken-english
man comes upon me
he asks me
if I speak Arabic
asks me to fill him up
he's on vacation
from Canada
with his family
and lost his cards
offers me
an unopened pair of Airpods
as payment
A grift
is my first instinct
the old I-need-gas chesnut
but I was coming from
watching my niece and newphew
perhaps more amenable
than my usual Chicago edge
isn't it possible this could be true?
this goofy, loquacious, Canadian(maybe) immigrant
who told me in response to saying I had no kids
but isn't that the whole point of all this?
who thanked God and shook my hand several times
who at least seemed convincingly genuine
isn't it possible he made some mistake and actually needed help?
I wasn't and remain not totally convinced
but
should there not be room for kindness and generosity in this world?
especially now with divisiveness and decay run rampant
should we not, when we can, where prudent
toss what small compassions we can onto the rising tide of humanity?
Today, for me the answer was yes. Even if it was a shuck and jive.
No comments:
Post a Comment