Thursday, October 26, 2017

Old Chemistry

The Night Shift was my Playground team made back in 2010. We performed steadily for a little over four years then decided to retire because of some changes made at that theater and because the shows were sparsely attended. We were friends and I think good collaborators. One of those rare teams that the quality of the shows mirrored the enjoyment we had hanging out outside of them. We've mostly stayed in touch over the past three years but we don't see each other that often. Just that nature I think of defunct improv teams.

On somewhat of a whim we did a show last night. Because of geography and waning improv interest there are only really four of use left. Damian, Craig, Molly, and myself and the show was really good. Not that that was a surprise, nor was it like some earth shattering piece of art, but even so it was kind of amazing how effortlessly we were able to find our groove and chemistry again. The familiarity and fluidity we had developed came right back and we were reading each other, making intuitive jumps, messing with each other, getting laughs, and having fun.

In improv there's a lot of talk about "group mind" this idea of functioning as a team, a unit, rather than individuals. It's something that new groups seem to talk about a lot but more seasoned performers and teams don't really discuss. And I think the reason is you can't talk about it directly. It's one of those things that disappears if you look at it straight-on. It's one of those kinds of things you just have to slip into not some skill you can develop or muscle you can exercise. It grows independently of your attention. Last night to me felt like a good example of that. I've known Damian, Craig, and Molly for a long time and there was a period where we performed a lot together but that was almost three years ago. I haven't really seen them perform much recently and we mostly stay in touch through gchat and text, neither the most intimate of mediums. Even so we have this thing we share. This language and ability to sync up that I don't think will go away.

People compare improv a lot to sports and music which have validity but for me I think it has more resonance with concepts of Zen. By not thinking but being in a state of readiness do things really happen, by not doing are real discoveries made and real inspiration found. By not trying do things and opportunities and ideas reveal themselves. Now I'm not talking about apathy or lethargy I'm talking about being in a state of openness and preparedness to seize and actualize characters and story when they present themselves.

I realize this may sound all very fru-fru and silly and perhaps self aggrandizing and I'm sure none of this is unique to me but the bottom line is that I had a good time last night with my friends and we had fun and the audience who paid money to be entertained was. And that feels good and comfortable and familiar. Say what you want about the ethereal and neverending nature of improv but it felt like success.

No comments:

Post a Comment