Friday, May 13, 2011

Collaboration

The latest Beanpole original.

I started collaborating in college. My college roommates Bob and Beanpole were a musician and an artist respectively. Bob taught me guitar and we started improvising songs to generate material. Two of my favorite songs were 'The Trees' and 'The Green Song.' He'd have an idea, I'd have an idea and we build from there. It was really inspiring to throw ideas off of each other and create something together. Not you wrote the music, I wrote the lyrics. But we wrote it together. My collaborations with the Beanpole are a little less even because I can't draw. We still discuss ideas, inspire each other, and create.

I love improv because this same process is implicit within the doing of improv. It's a constant collaboration, a constant state of inspiration. You get immediate feedback from your partner as well as the audience. And when you achieve greatness, it's shared.

Day 15

No comments:

Post a Comment