Sunday, January 3, 2016

Gestation

I just finished reading On Writing by Stephen King, a Christmas present from my sister, it's part memoir part writing how-to. He doesn't really talk about where his ideas come from(virtually impossible for any creative person) but he does make a distinction as to how they come. Sometimes fully formed, sometimes in bits and pieces that have to be teased out.

This is something I've experienced in my own work, sometimes ideas for a poem, piece, or play come already ripe which is great. All in a rush and all you have to do is give them form. Other times, and for me this is more typical, it starts with a relatively nebulous concept and as I mull it over, let it incubate, it gains momentum, sophistication and form. A lot of the work is done in my head so that when I sit down to write it I have an idea that has more of a structure, it makes it a lot easier to actually write the thing when I have a firm understanding of its shape. This waiting period is important, instead of rushing to the computer or the pad with the start of an idea then forcing my way through it I let it percolate for a while until I have a clear sense of what it will be, what I'm trying to say. Like a whittler with a promising piece of wood who stares at it until the figurine hidden inside is revealed, only then does he begin carving.

King also relates a piece of advice he received from one of his early editors- "The book is boss." Meaning the idea not the artist dictates what it will be. His example is a short story idea which, once he began writing, turned into a novel. He could have forced it but the story wanted to be, was more appropriate as, called for the additional length and scope of a novel. Once you begin work on a project it will typically reveal its most suitable form. Something you start as a story may be better as a play, a poem more potent as an essay.

The third thing that struck me on this read that King suggests is, after completing a project, to get some distance from it. Obviously in his case he's talking about the novel, he says put it in a drawer and don't look at it for six weeks. I don't think the time frame is necessarily applicable to shorter works but the waiting is. Let the essay/sketch/poem/story sit there for a while after completion- a couple days, maybe a week. After getting some time away from the thing you created it becomes less dear. You're able to see it clearly, smooth the rough edges, sharpen and shape. Distill it.

On Writing has a lot of practical advice for novel writers, writers in general, and artists of any discipline. The three big points he makes are: consume a lot, create a lot, and develop your own process.

No comments:

Post a Comment