Monday, June 25, 2018

Final Leg


Headed out of Green Bay kind of late, didn't have that much ground to cover today. We stopped off at the Horicon Marsh which was amazing- lush and green and huge.
Had dinner in Madison with my sister Marta and her family and had a wonderful visit before heading back to Rockford and completing the trip. I'll have one more hop tomorrow to get back to Chicago but I'll do that solo.
We rode about 1100 miles over the course of four days and did about 7/8 of the coast of Lake Michigan before cutting inland. It has been a bit of a whirlwind. My dad and I have taken a couple rides together but only for the afternoon and once he accompanied me half way on my trip to Richmond but this was the first time we rode together on a multi-day trip solely for us. It was a wonderful experience. Not only all the gorgeous scenery and oddities on the road, the varied and interesting people we met, but to share it all. To have the time, father and son, that was ours alone doing something that we both loved. This adventure that was very immediate and physically taxing at times but was ultimately joyous. I took care of him a bit, he took care of me a bit, we rode a lot, we saw a lot, and we did it all together. I'll need more time to unpack the experience but overall I'd say it was a real triumph. I'm supremely grateful to be able to share such a cool, fun, challenging journey with my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment