Sunday, January 13, 2019

Zero Gravity

Among comedians
the subject of influence
is often discussed
and I never say much
when it comes to SNL
Strangers With Candy
or Kids In The Hall
for I was struck
not by interest
but necessity
when, at 12
my sister, 16
domestic tensions grew
what with curfew
driver's licence
and potential romance.

The moment
when lightning struck
was one evening when
my sister planned to go
to Zero Gravity
our local non-alcoholic
teen dance club
as the discussion of her attendance
escalated to argument
a circuit tripped
and I inserted my child self
into the conflict
and began to recite
with affectation
the low-budget
commercial for Zero G
interspersed
with pulsing mouth percussion
and as my performance
gained momentum
they both began to laugh
and the pressure eased
my sister left
the contest of wills delayed
if not resolved
my first attempt
at pre-teen satire
and my first lesson
in the power of comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment