Sunday, April 14, 2019

Right Sized

In rehab life was small, simple-
meals, meditations, meetings, meds,
workouts, bedtimes, downtimes, visitations-
all segmented and scheduled
after years of boundless chaos and destruction
we had to shrink our scope of living
to rest some order from the grasp of our addictions
at first I found the confines maddening
my lack of freedom unjust and rancorous
but slowly piece by piece healthy habits-
punctuality, cleanliness, civility-
built toward a shaky confidence
and upon release I could continue
perhaps not with assurance
but with some measure of alacrity.

Over years my life has expanded
in responsibility and dimension
but I retain that lesson painfully won
through the tangles and the turmoils
the celebrations and successes
life is simple but not easy
and each day requires effort.

1 comment: