Tuesday, December 17, 2019

H.A.L.T.

When I am disturbed
I must ask
what is wrong with me
because I find
most often
I merely need a snack
a nap
a pause
or the soothing balm of company.

I do not actually want
to stab the man
on the train
in the neck
who doesn't remove
his backpack
although I am
momentarily filled
with a vengeful righteousness.

Seeing some vague acquaintance
flying in a private plane
via Instagram
while spending a Saturday night
at home
alone
does not transform
my overall contentment
with my life and circumstance
to acidic envy
although I may feel the bite
of solitude.

I may become short
with my loving partner
because our cat
tracks litter through our home
or because she innocuously
rearranged some furniture
while I was out
when the reality is
I simply need
to go to bed.

All to say
yes, certainly
there are irritants
some even justifiable
but external forces
only effect
internal courses
to the degree
allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment