Friday, October 16, 2020

The Grid Plan

On my first adult visit to Chicago
(I say adult as it was for business not for pleasure)
My sister, a resident, gave me directions
and when I asked for clarification
she told me the city was on a grid
and described to me The Grid Plan-
numbers emanating out from The Loop
north and south and east and west
whereby I could place myself within it's net 
at whatever intersection I might be-
and after a moment, understanding
like trumpets or cymbals crashing
the beauty of such order nearly brought me to knees
and as I made my way out into it's depths
I knew exactly where I was and how to get to where I'd be
the idea quite extraordinary, the practice ingenuous ease 
there are those detractors of the grid
who rail against it's corners and command
but there is majesty in boxes, purpose in straight lines
and when it comes to function the grid is close to the sublime.

1 comment: