Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Ten Key

I had a theory for awhile
that between high school
and college
there should be a time
of compulsory service
not in the military but at a bank
to instill the fundamentals-
saving, spending, and the dreaded
budgeting
for money seems the ever-present issue
for the burgeoning adult
not out of carelessness but ignorance.

My time as a teller
taught me more about money
than classes or familial guidance
ever could
and day after day bearing witness
at times facilitating
the financial foibles of the rich and poor
noting the eccentric economy of the old
the desperate over-drafting of the young
corruption, hustles, counterfeits
I learned the current of cash flow
not secret or sacred but simple
capital as tool not sacred-cow.

It was mostly thankless work
underpaid and maybe menial
but I miss my fingers dancing
on the number pad 
imputing accounts, denominations,
deposits and liquidations
mastering that skill
soon to be extinct
if already fading- ten key.

No comments:

Post a Comment