Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Biscuits

The first biscuit I remember
was from the Pillsbury tube
taking it hot from the oven
tossing it from hand to hand
to let it cool
then sinking my teeth
into that soft flaky goodness
this thing more fitting
to my child's hands 
than a slice of bread
more playful than a dinner roll
more flavorful than the bland
utilitarian grocery loaf
to which I was accustomed
O' Xanadu
The second and perhaps
the more auspicious
was from Popeye's Fried Chicken
and from that
all other biscuits have been judged
it's cascade of salty buttery goodness
like an injection of hot delirium
it's unfurling, encircling warmth
like a comforting familial embrace
carbonic fuel for transcendence 

Since
I've had many biscuits
some so-so, some delicious
but never will I forget
my first two initiates
reliable Pillsbury
and Popeye's, Rockford affiliate.

No comments:

Post a Comment