Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Fear Is The Mind Killer

Growing up
my grandparents 
had a cabin
on a lake
which the family
would go to
on and off
every summer
and my cousin Adam
would always
incessantly
want to swim
while I was reluctant
because it was cold
because in the depths
I feared fish lurking
waiting to nibble
on my toes, calves, and knees
waiting to slither
up my trunks
because it was unknown
but he would always jump in
immediately after arriving
fearless, joyful
while I remained skittish
for years
but over time
he taught me
he made me see
what a wonderful
opportunity it was
what a beautiful place
to take advantage of
to commune with
to throw myself
heedless, rapturous
into the chill waters
of Big St. Germain Lake
to be cleansed, to be free
a lesson I took beyond
the cabin on the lake
and has served me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment