Sunday, December 4, 2022

ISU

Every new higher education attendee
has to grapple with disappointment
or at least a level of cognitive dissonance
squaring the reality
with the collegiate utopias portrayed in media
I was no different
it was a harsh adjustment
the biggest culture shock
the most horrifying surprise
was being in an environment
with kids who came from money
their entitlement
their obtuseness
their unwarranted confidence
was alien, off-putting in the extreme
and in fact these people, despite their privilege
were less interesting, less talented, less knowledgeable
than anyone I went to high school with
I learned more about race, class, and culture
more about actually living in my hometown
than I did at this institution purported to be the gateway to adulthood
not to say Rockford was some egalitarian paradise
but I went to school with white, black, and brown kids of all kinds
Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus, and a few obligatory wannabe Wiccans
poor, working, and middle class, but no actual rich kids
there simply weren't that many in the community and those few that were
surprising no one, didn't send their kids to public school
and this exposure had opened up my perspective to certain realities
back to college
the theatre department of which I was a part, in particular
had this air of casual affluence that I found not only incomprehensible
but enraging
it was clear I did not belong and I did not want to
I struggled
but even though I would describe my collegiate experience as negative
this crucible fostered and solidified in me a distrust for the wealthy
codified my perception and understanding of socio-economic disparity
and on which part of the divide I stood and intended to remain
so perhaps
it did prepare me, shape me, teach me, come to define me
even if the method
was the stick not the carrot
even if the lessons
had nothing to do with academics
in hindsight
I'm grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment