Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Camaraderie

I'll admit
I scoffed
at my company's 
incessant posturing 
regarding returning to the office
content and productive am I
at home in seclusion
what with Teams or Slack
and their illusion of connection
what with my own internal
drive and expertise
I have no need of the office
and its transparent constructs
its inconveniences, its redundancies
but
with my whole team in town this week
I return out of obligation
and find I am delighted
to see all these faces in the flesh
I have only known in brief flat-screened chats
have only heard as disembodied voices
to see and hear and be with these people
in this moment, now
who I may not exactly like
but with whom I have a fellowship
this thing we so closely share
and it is good to be there
to say hello in the morning
to say goodbye in the evening
to ask some mindless inconsequential question in passing
I find this forgotten itch is scratched
I realize I haven't felt this way since 2019. Before.

No comments:

Post a Comment