Friday, July 1, 2016

Blockbuster

Tonight was the first preview for the play I'm directing at the Annoyance Blockbuster. It went really well, I'm really proud of the cast and very grateful for their trust and hard work. Also for HP for suggesting music, Hannah for taking pictures, Beanpole for the poster art, and Nicole for her constant support and feedback.

The play is a comedy but we address some serious themes, my hope is not only to get laughs but also convey some thoughts and ideas about women and gender relations, to broaden perception on various topics and provide some opportunities for solidarity. All within a Blockbuster, a very comfortable and affirming place for me in my adolescence, and utilizing movies, something I love, as a jumping-off point.

It's unclear to me at this point if it does all of these things, I'm too close to it, have been working and thinking about it so much over the past couple months I have no distance from it. But I do know everyone in the cast is giving great compelling performances, both funny and vulnerable. And I believe the show as a whole provides a clear story that has humor and pathos. We got some good feedback from those folks that came out tonight and I look forward to sharpening it up and sharing it with more people.

Every Friday at 8:30pm at The Annoyance through August 19th.

No comments:

Post a Comment