Saturday, July 9, 2016

Little Breakthroughs

I was in Rockford today to visit my folks and Adam and his kids. Adam is one of my best and oldest friends and I've made a point the last couple years to go back and visit more. One of the big reasons is because of his two boys Ethan and Eli.

When I was growing up my parents had a couple friends that we saw often and we're a big part of my childhood. I wanted to be a part of Adam's kids lives as much as my "uncle" Bill was in mine. Tonight when I went over to Adam's house his two boys ran up to me and gave me hugs as soon as I walked in the door.

They've hugged me before, usually at the end of my visit when I was leaving sometimes prompted by their parents. They've always vaguely remembered who I was but this visit it seemed like we had finally reached that sticking point where they knew my name without being reminded. They genuinely remembered me. And more importantly they were excited to see me, excited for the visit.

They're great kids, funny and upbeat and excitable, and its a great privilege to be able to be part of their lives. It's something a couple years ago I wouldn't have been able to show up for. Sometimes responsibilities and adulthood can be a drag, a series of draining obligations, but with age and experience wonderful possibilities present themselves. You can look forward to a long standing friendship growing in depth and you can become part of a burgeoning family.

No comments:

Post a Comment