Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Theft

Monday Nicole and I's apartment was burglarized. I came home from work and found the kitchen window wide open. I went through the house and noticed that our TV, computers, and Nicole's jewelry drawer were gone. Nothing was damaged or knocked over, there was no mess, it looked like they were in and out in less than five minutes. Our neighbor was also hit.

I couldn't find our cat so my initial reaction was one of concern for her, once I found her(hiding under the bed) and made sure she was alright I had some time to soak in what had happened. I felt inconvenienced and sad about the loss of the photos on my computer but I wasn't angry, I wasn't despairing. I called Nicole and when she got home we called the cops. The officer who came was patient and calm but cautioned us these type of things don't typically have a speedy resolution.

The other big loss was two pearl necklaces Nicole had from her grandmother who has passed. The necklaces along with the photos were the two things that hurt the most because of their sentimental value but the other things- the TV, the computers- didn't bother us that much. They were just things.

A lot of friends have reached out over the past couple days offering support which has been incredibly kind and for which we're both really grateful. It's been odd though because the reaction seems disproportionate to what happened. Perhaps I've diminished it and am not really facing it but I don't really think so. Ultimately what they took were just objects, stuff, that, sure, would cost money to replace but it brought into sharp relief all the really incredible things I, we, have in our lives. I'd like to think Nicole and I are already relatively connected on a day-to-day basis but the burglary solidified and strengthened our partnership, we are handling this situations as a team and there's nothing like adversity to temper a relationship. With all the friends and family reaching out, some people who we haven't heard from in a while, it makes me realize how rich our lives are with those people that care about us. We have decent jobs that pay us well with understanding bosses. Food in the fridge. Our first real Christmas tree. Ms. Kitty(our cat). And simple health. Being alive. Nothing like a crime to make you realize how much you take for granted.

With the energizing care of friends what's a TV? With the unshakable support of family what's a laptop? With your loving partner by your side what can't you face?

No comments:

Post a Comment