Saturday, August 19, 2017

Affluence

I wear my jeans, black t-shirt,
and denim jacket like armor
amidst all the cargo shorts,
flip-flops, and tommy bahama
short-sleeved button ups
straining over large and swaying
bellies

Here in this Wisconsin resort town
I'm surrounded
by a thoughtless, bloated
American opulence
where all immensities are expensive
but have no real quality
(the food down right repulsive)

I feel like the only human
in a crowd of alien lemmings
all shoving intoxicants
and flavorless fuel
inside their maws
squawking their elitism
and entitlement

The idea that this place
is some coveted
well-to-do vacation spot
is sickening
all these bumbling, mumbling,
pleasure seekers
models for dystopian drones

I can't wait to leave and hope never to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment