Thursday, March 29, 2018

Clinton St.

What I remember most
about my grandparents house
is the slate gray stone
from which it was constructed.
Old and regal.
Almost Gothic
in it's jagged age
at least that's how it appeared
to my child's eyes
timeworn and
mysterious.

But despite it's impassive aesthetic
it was a place of comfort.
For a time.

My sister, cousins, and I
would spend hours
producing puppet shows
from the balcony
with stuffed animals
dangling from ribbon.

In the basement
a disused pool table
the remenant
of a fabled
marital argument.

A pear tree
in the back yard
a wedding gift
to my parents
which they planted there,
where they had their reception.

The garage which
as we grew
we stealthily climbed atop.

Those and a hundred memories
too faded by time, 
too dream like
to exhume.

But last
my grandfather's tan recliner
large, soft, and safe.

In it, the mythic presence
of my grandfather
Irv
who towers 
over my childhood,
his kindness in life
and the void he left
in death.

Everything changed after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment