Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Mighty Mike's Maze

As a child
the closest
I got to magic was
Might Mike's Maze
a converted warehouse
with hanging
itinerant
red canvas walls,
darkly lit,
the gloom and silence
punctuated
by the occasional
burst
from the fog machine
and the periodic
blast
of a strobe.

The stated goal
was to find four
multi-colored
poker chips
stashed
in hanging bags
at four obscure
dead-ends
throughout
the maze
within a certain timeframe
and that was fun
the game itself
but more than that
it was a fertile place
for fantasy
in it
I was Thesus
hunting the Minotar
I was Ged
evading the priests of Atuan
I was someone else
somewhere else
lost on an Adventure.

7 comments:

  1. Mighty Mike here. Glad you enjoyed it. I don't remember us having a fog machine, but I was a kid at the time. Also glad I'm not the only one who used it for RP. Anyways, it was great to hear about someone's good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish the place was around still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had several birthday parties there. Feeling nostalgic this morning. Glad to find this poem, and glad to be remembering such a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopped on google to look up Mighty Mike's Maze and came across this post. I run FEC's now as an adult and I was young kid when I went to MMM's in Rockford, IL in the strip mall.

    Absolutely loved the idea so much, kind of looking to implement it in one of my FEC's. I see Mighty Mike replied to this and that you posted this, sorry for the 3-year necro reply, but awesome to see someone else that was enchanted as much as we were by it. It's one of my fondest memories of Rotford and I thank you for sharing as well as Mighty Mike for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Man. Those were good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Old union hall building then moved to Harlem and alpine area by the old video unlimited store. That was the hang out spot for pre teens. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went the when I was a child in the early 90s. They had some fun pinball there too. It's so awesome finding something about it on the Internet after a random Google search trying to explain it to my partner.

    ReplyDelete