Sunday, August 26, 2018

Broon

In high school
at the Renn Faire
I saw his first show
and returned for them all
throughout the day
he was part jugglar
part comedian
part aspirational speaker
and didn't attempt to be period
I was captivated
in my youth I only knew he was unique
that his act was different
not only
from the other Faire shows
but anything I had seen
not in audaciousness
but honesty and directness
returning now and seeing him again
he held up to my high esteem
equally exciting and enlivening
and now I realize
upon reflection
his blend of comedy
and sincerity
put me on the creative path
I've walked since.

In our chaotic cultural time
it is artists
that are our warriors
not sitcom stars
or social media personalities
who can reach, teach, and change
it is those in tights on
wooden stages
in 100 degree heat
that can halt the flood of hate
advocating understanding
between the Red
and the Blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment