Thursday, November 18, 2021

India House

We went to India House
for the first time in 1997
for my mom's birthday
it was one of the first
(if not the first)
Indian restaurants in Rockford
It was the first time I had crispy poppadoms
the first time I had tangy chutney
the first time I had fluffy naan
samosas, tandoori, curry
ghee, aloo, paneer
vindaloo, masala, kofta
mustard seeds, fennel, turmeric
a cornucopic, transcendent, cascade of spice and flavor.

At first, tentative
I picked and nibbled
then revelatory, ravenous, I devoured
broken, battered, decimated
lay my pre-teen fidelity
to Hot Pockets and frozen pizza
revealed was my naiveté 
my narrowminded prescriptive palette
and from this ecstatic epiphany of a meal
grew a hunger to taste it all
a willingness to try 
when before it was only reticence, only fear
there gestated a courage, culinary and otherwise
to, at the very least, be open
to the possibility of the new, the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment