Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Josh Pitts

Once in grade school
I missed the bus
so had to walk home
my buddy Josh
always walked home
because he only lived
a couple blocks away
and so we walked together
just him and I
and as we walked
some strong emotion
took control of his face
which was completely
out of character
usually a very funny
happy-go-lucky kid
he was clearly pained
so I asked him
"Is something wrong?"
and he began to weep
uncontrollably
and through his tears and gasps
he simply said
"It's excruciating."
at ten it was not a word
I'd ever heard
not a concept
I recognized
but in the moment
within the context
I understood
"Is something going on?"
I asked
he just kept crying
"I get sad sometimes"
I said
"But it passes. It'll be better tomorrow."
he shook his head
at his house
I walked him to his door
"I can play-uh-hang out if you want."
we were at that age
but he said "No, thanks."
tears still shining in his eyes
and closed his door.

I walked the rest of the way home
thinking about that word
excruciating
and the absolute sincerity
in which he used it.

We never spoke of it
and I never saw that side of him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment