Thursday, November 3, 2022

Inspiration

In 2000 my friend Ryan Green told me about High Fidelity,
he said it was great but if it wasn't John Cusack 
it'd be too much John Cusack.
My sister, home for spring break, took me and my friend Ben Geller.
We all liked it, I in particular, loved it. 
Not only for its insights into "adult" relationships
but for one of it's supporting characters, 
Jack Black's Barry.
As a chubby, sensitive, sometimes shy kid 
it was a revelation.
Heretofore I had to settle for Chris Farley, great 
but ultimately, at least on the big screen, a buffoon.
Or John Candy, too old, wise, and serene to really feel attainable.
Barry felt like someone I could be 
and there after I modeled myself after him.
I got louder, funnier, more opinionated, tougher.
Seeing that character 
gave me the permission 
to take up the space I had previously been too terrified to.
It gave me the example of the confidence I wanted.
I eventually moved on- Sam Jackson's Jules Winnfield was the next biggie.
But Barry was my number 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment