Thursday, December 9, 2010

Norse Mythology

I just finished reading 'American Gods' for the third time. One of the main characters is the American incarnation of the God Odin. My dad's family is from Norway so for whatever reason the Norse pantheon speaks to me.

Having a series of Gods with human like traits makes more sense to me than the whole Christian philosophy. I'm not saying I'm a pagan, for one I wouldn't even know how to go about worshipping a polytheistic religion, but to me the Greek, Roman, and most of all Norse mythology makes more sense. It's more accessible without any of the blaring contradictions.

I know Loki, Odin, and Thor. My knowledge is not extensive but I know some stories and I know the traits of each god. I can identify with their strengths and weaknesses, I see myself reflected. The Christian God and Jesus are perfect and ethereal and unmanageable. I can't see any of myself in them or the idea of them. They're as foreign to me as an alien would be. More 'primitive' cultures developed religions with gods with human characteristics because thats what they could identify with.

My ancestors came from Mountains and Forests, from Sea and Battle. Their lives were lived on the brink. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century.

'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman(which I highly recommend that you read) alleges that belief creates gods. That belief by people creates a personification of different gods.

I just want to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment