Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Defending Nicolas Cage

Some people say Nick Cage has lost his edge. Some people say Nick Cage has sold out. I say Cage was just biding his time, coiling like a snake ready to strike.

After dynamic performances in movies like 'Moonstruck', 'Raising Arizona', and 'Adaptation' some people have been disappointed in Cage's choice of scripts recently i.e. 'Knowing' or 'Next'. I have two thoughts on this.

One. You gotta get paid. Actors are people and they need paychecks. I work at a financial institution and I can tell you that no matter how much people make they spend about that amount. People are bad at saving. So saying "oh Nicolas Cage is rich" doesn't really have anything to do with his job and doesn't really address the day to day struggle with money that everyone deals with, you make alot you spend alot. Period. So don't expect Cage to be better or more moral or have more artistic integrity than do we. I know people that go to children's birthday parties dressed up as fictitious superheros and their glad about it. Stardom does not equal artistic superiority.

Two. People like those movies. I hate the 'National Treasure' movies. I hate them. I think they're trite and stupid and they numb my brain. My dad loves them. Loves them. And he's a super smart practicing attorney that has gone to the Federal Court of Appeals and voted in the Electoral College. People like those movies. People like 'Knowing.' As much as you and I don't some people do. Cage has said in interviews that he likes doing edgy stuff but after having children he wants to do something with more broad appeal. Which I understand. He wants to do movies which his kids can actually watch. So don't fault him for it. It's not 'Rumble Fish' but its entertainment. Sometimes you want to watch movies that don't make you think.

Also, He hasn't lost it.

My man Nicolas Cage has got edge like crazy. More edge than even up-and-comers do. I would site 'Kick-Ass' and 'Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans' as inspired, dynamic Nicolas Cage performances. He hasn't lost his edge he's just tempering it with a wide range of material. And why not? Why can't my man do different stuff, very his approach and mix things up? Do the family film, the blockbuster, and then the art house film. Why not? Why does he suffer? Why does he come under so much scrutiny? I don't know. I don't get it. Lay off. Nicolas Cage is serious and committed and dynamic, no matter what, whether it be rom-com or thriller. You can't help but watch. I'd love to just kick it with the guy and get some cheese fries.

"Shoot him again, his soul is still dancing." -Cage

Top 5 Nicolas Cage movies:
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Peggy Sue Got Married
The Family Man
Adaptation
Vampire's Kiss

His soul is dancing. I just want to see the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment