Sunday, February 20, 2011

One Day At A Time

Subtitle: The Title Drop
In movies when a character has a line that states the title its called 'The Title Drop.' This is The Title Drop post.

I think it's common knowledge that 'One Day At A Time' is a phrase used in recovery programs like A.A. It's said because not drinking forever can seem impossible to someone with a problem. But not drinking today is something manageable, something that can be achieved. I started this blog a year ago and gave it this title. I did that because I have a problem with alcohol. I thought the title would make it obvious I had a problem. If not this is my attempt to clarify that. My intention initially was to give myself something to focus on, something daily I had to check in with that would constantly remind myself to take it one day at a time. To not drink today. Although I am proud of the content and the frequency of my blog I have been unable to stay clean.

Today The Album and Devin reached out a hand to me and I am taking it. I am making this post to make my problem known to anyone, those I know and those I don't, that I have a problem. If it is an open fact, I have no where to hide, no excuses to make. My intention is to make myself accountable.

My grandfather was an alcoholic. That is something I've known my whole life. Something my father always talked to me about. I started drinking, like many kids, during college. Even from the start I knew I could drink more than other people. I knew I didn't drink like other people. I always wanted to stay up longer and drink more when others were satisfied and wanted to go to bed. I didn't realize I had a problem until after I graduated and moved to Chicago the first time. I had to move back home because my life had become unmanageable. When I moved back to Chicago I got the most amount of time together I've had since college, 27 days, but I fell off. Since then things have been getting slowly worse. Now is the time to stop.

Be the change you desire to see in the world.

Day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment