Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tom Dreesen

Andel and I went to see Tom Dreesen last night before El Show. The show was called "An Evening of Laughter and Memories of Frank Sinatra." It was probably one of the most enjoyable shows I've been to in years.

If you don't know him Tom Dreesen is an old school stand-up comedian, started at The Comedy Store with Robin Williams, David Letterman etc. For the bulk of his career he opened for Frank Sinatra and is a regular guest on The Late Show.

The show was...fascinating. The show began with Tom doing his act, transitioned into him telling stories about his life and time with Sinatra, and ended with another short stand-up routine.

His act was the same that it's been probably for a decade. He did a Lewinsky joke. Even so he totally killed and he had the most eye drawing presence. You couldn't help but watch him. The best part of the show by far was when he told stories about his time with Sinatra.

Dreesen: When Frank was 78 he was fading. I was waiting for the time he'd come up to me and say "it's time to go home." We were doing a show in Denver 20 minutes into his show Frank forgot the lyrics to a song. He stopped in the middle and just kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." The band vamped for a while and then fell silent. All you could hear was Franks saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I prepared myself for the end then. He'd walk off stage and tell me that was it. Some guy stood up in the balcony and shouted "It's all right Frank! We love you Frank! It's all right!" And he started to clap. A couple other people joined him and then eventually the entire audience did. Frank started to exit, and I thought this is it, then he stopped came back and did "Maybe You''ll be There," he sang the shit out of that song. Frank toured for another 2 years. I thought that was the end that night. And that guy whether he knows it or not gave Frank 2 more years.

Both of us almost lost it. All in all it was a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment