Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hand Of Fate 2

My junior year of high school I went on a school sponsored trip to Europe. It was part of some package offered to high schools called 'The Four City Tour'. We went to Athens, Rome, Paris, and London. In Rome we went through the Sistine Chapel which was, memorable.

When we went it was very crowded. I remember it being large, probably the size of a basketball court. The crowd was shuffled along rather quickly in order to accommodate the high volume of tourists. I remember being told not speak above a whisper and to try avoid speaking all together.

I remember being awed and feeling like I was part of something bigger than myself. While we were exiting my friend Drew called from behind me 'Hey Steve.' I turn around and I see a women in a wheel chair motioning to me. There's only one exit which has a very steep ramp. It's clear its too steep for her to get up unassisted. She motions to me again and I realize we are the only stationary people in the room. People are streaming by her and no one is stopping to help. I walk down to her and pause. She doesn't speak to me and I don't speak to her. We make eye contact briefly and she nods. She is in her late 30's, attractive, dirty blond, wearing a simple red dress. I take the handles and guide her up the ramp with moderate difficulty. I push her down the hallway and out into the courtyard beyond. Once there she touched my hand, looked at me, nodded, and said 'merci' softly. I walked away to rejoin my classmates.

It felt like I was suppose to be there. For whatever reason it felt important. I felt like it was a good thing I did. A small thing. A simple thing. But a meaningful thing.

I wonder if she ever thinks of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment