Saturday, August 10, 2013

Goodbye Eric

Tonight was Eric's going away show, he's moving out to Colorado for grad school. I don't know Eric that well and I'd say we weren't more than casual friends. We never hung out one on one or did a show together. But I always enjoyed seeing him and talking to him. He is the person in Chicago I would randomly run into the most: on the street, at the movies, on our bikes, all over. And every time I did, it would brighten up my day. Sometimes we wouldn't even say hi just smile and wave. Those small interactions over the course of  years built up to mean something substantial. An unspoken shorthand.

The other thing I really appreciate about Eric is that I never had a chit-chat, what-you-up-to, small-talk type of conversation with him. Our conversations were always about something personal or artistic. No weather or CTA talk. He also, like myself, is not a person discomforted by silence. A lot of people have to fill the space with words which most of the time is unnecessary. If you don't have anything to say then there's no need to speak. I think he understands that more than most.

I wish I would have known him better but I'm content with how our paths crossed. Our lives are filled not only with those close to us but with those on the periphery.

Good luck buddy. Good luck, good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment