Sunday, March 13, 2016

Happenstance

As part of most iO shows there is a piece in the middle of the night called "The Dream" where an audience member comes up and is interviewed about their day which the improvisers then use as inspiration.

Tonight I interviewed a teacher from Mississippi. I asked her if she had a particularly troublesome student and to describe them. I then asked her his/her first name. She said it was a him but she wouldn't tell me his first name(reasonable). Just for context, to make the improv easier, I said for the sake of this we'll just call him Travis. The woman and her table of friends gasped then burst out laughing. I had guessed the kid's name.

A simple enough thing, random luck, coincidence, and yet. And yet it felt like one of those little pieces of magic that happen every once in a while in improv. One of those moments where everyone sits up and takes notice, where you realize how special and fleeting improv can be. Call it group mind call it telepathy what have you, there are those rare moments when you tap into something beyond simple conversation, something a little deeper than connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment