Sunday, March 20, 2016

Play #3

The past month I've been doing rehearsals for a new play I'm directing that'll go up at The Annoyance. The synopsis is: Four women from various backgrounds are stuck slogging it out at an Elgin, IL Blockbuster during its introductory death throws in 2008. Their backstories, perspectives, and ambitions are revealed through alternatively playful and biting discussions of movies and pop culture, volatile customer encounters, romantic interactions, and familial dust-ups. Like Clerks except smart and with women.

I've used the same process that I did with my previous two plays Contention and My Two Sons where I wrote a scenic outline which the cast improvised from, I recorded the audio of the improv, then used that to build a script. With all the rehearsals creating raw-materials completed, this past week I've put in a lot of hours transcribing and editing the script. It's coming together wonderfully and I'm very excited to keep working on it, honing it with the cast, and  put it up in front of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment