Friday, August 19, 2016

Blockbuster: Closing

Tonight was closing night for Blockbuster. A more gratifying and demanding project I don't think I've ever worked on. After My Two Sons last year, which was basically a coming of age story about two boys, I wanted to do a show about the female experience. I came up with the framework of having the location be at a Blockbuster and take place over the course of one day partly because Blockbuster played a big part in my growing up and partly because it seemed like a place where references would easily launch discussions. The intention was to explore various gender issues by how they are portrayed in and reinforced/subverted by pop culture. I wrote an outline, the cast improvised the various scenes which were recorded, and I transcribed a script from the recordings.

I pitched the show to the Annoyance last December, they initially rejected it, I modified the proposal and re-pitched it and they said yes. We took February and March to generate the script and when I followed up about an opening date for the show there was some miscommunication and, after some back and forth, we got slotted for July. We took April and most of May off then came back with the completed script to get ready for the opening. This is all to say we've been working on the show for a while.

I cast Meaghan, Amy, Meg, and Sarah because they are all incredibly talented but also admirable people whose perspectives and ideas I knew would be engaging. I wanted to create a play that showcased their personalities and point-of-views. A lot of the challenge for me as the director was having some kind of structure which allowed them to do that. While working with them and trying to specifically address certain issues a lot of stuff came up that I wasn't aware of both outside of the play and as an outgrowth of our working dynamic. I learned a lot and tried to practice patience, honesty, and empathy whenever we ventured into subjects and circumstances that I had no experience or knowledge of. To listen more than talk, to facilitate rather than dictate. There were some tough moments but throughout Meaghan, Amy, Meg, and Sarah remained open and willing to continue the work and the conversation, even though there were moments that were frustrating the experience was one of discovery and growth, for me and I think for them too. The play itself they were all amazing in displaying courage and chemistry, strength and vulnerability.

Jimmy, Max, and Danny all worked with me on My Two Sons and we have a close friendship as well as an intimate working relationship. With the way I create plays through outlining, improv, then transcription a comfort and ease with that kind of process is important. They're also incredibly charismatic performers and just a joy to be around. With Mike, not pictured above but below, we've been friends for a long time, he's one of the most dynamic performers I know, but we'd never really worked together, I wanted him to essentially be the villain of the show. It required him to walk a fine line between darkness and humor, pathos and aggression, which he has a very unique ability to pull off. All of them were incredible to watch. They weren't in the play a lot and functioned primarily as cameo-like foils for the four leads but they gave generously of their time and ability to help create, what I hope was, something that offered a somewhat fuller view of gender relations by their participation.
The play turned out almost exactly how I had pictured it in my head, better. The structure, the flow, the content. I set out to do a play that paid tribute to movies and Blockbuster and we did that, more importantly I wanted to do a play that had a message, and as complicated as that turned out to be, I think we accomplished that. In the comedy community there seems to be an aversion to sincerity, people use irony as a shield, a way to comment without putting belief on the line. And sure that can be good even great but personally I think there's something more powerful about putting yourself out there and being genuine. And perhaps the show and its intentions are imperfect given the complex and varied subjects we attempted to address but I take great satisfaction and pride in the work that we did and the show we produced. In the effort and attempt.

The process and the people taught me a lot not only about the subtle and not-so-subtle forms and instances of sexism and repression but also about directing itself. About story and character, about narrative expectation, dramatic tension and release. How to communicate and collaborate more effectively. I'm more knowledgeable personally and creatively because of the show. And that is the result, almost exclusively, of the open minds and hearts of the cast.

This show has been the most exacting project I've ever worked on and consequently the most fulfilling and there's a lot of people who helped me and inspired me along the way. HP for putting together the 2008 female alt-rock soundtrack. Beanpole for the poster art. Alison and Allison for being incredible understudies. Nicole for being my confident and always providing a listening ear. The Annoyance for the opportunity. And most importantly the cast who gave of their time and talents in exorbitant amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment