Sunday, August 28, 2016

Medieval Times

From as far back as I can remember I've been drawn to fantasy. Dragons, magic, swords, shields, horses, quests, familiars, monsters, prophecies the whole thing. I like those type of stories so much because they take you to a different world, transport you, you can get swept up in it all and be part of an adventure. Reality and fiction set within it can feel, at times, pedestrian. I don't think I'm drawn to the escapism of it so much rather it offers something so clearly beyond the scope of the normal day-to-day.

Travelling into Chicago from Rockford as a child the Medieval Times castle stuck out amidst the flat landscape like an alluring oasis. When I was 8 we finally went and it was a dream come true. One of the highlights of my childhood. It was so immersive I felt like I was in one of the stories I loved so much. I felt like I belonged. I went again the next year for my 9th birthday.

Last night Nicole and I along with Jose and Meigan went, it was my first time back since I was a kid and although it didn't hold the same mystery(how could it) it was still a wonderful evening. As cheesy and touristy as Medieval Times can be there's something incredibly fun and comforting about it. That it remains, providing entertainment for all and a bit of magic for the young who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment