Sunday, September 4, 2016

Deep Schwa 20th

Tonight was the 20th anniversary show for Deep Schwa the improv team I perform with at iO. The team started in 1996 and has been performing, almost, weekly since then. The past 17 years the team has held the 8 o'clock Sunday slot. Past teammates came in from all around the country to play and celebrate.

I started taking classes at iO in 2007 and my level one teacher at the time told our class to go see Deep Schwa. I did and I immediately fell in love. It was the hardest I had ever laughed. The team displayed an antagonistic playfulness, a facility for group work, and a knack for messing with each other and an infectiously delightful way. I became a super fan and rarely missed a Sunday show over the next four and a half years. I would periodically do lights for the team which was always a real treat for me to be able to part of the show in some small way. In 2012 I was asked to join the team and it was a dream come true. To be a part of this amazing team and, in my mind at least, improv history. Although the team roster has changed over the years, and improv itself has evolved, I think the integrity and spirit of the team has remained.
Since my time on the team a couple old team members have come back to play and it was always a real joy to play with those people I use to watch and be inspired by. Tonight the history of Schwa was on display and I was so happy and proud to be a part of this real cool and talented team. Some members I hadn't played with before and that was a real pleasure.

It was also the last show for Danny who is moving to LA. He's one of the greatest collaborators I've ever gotten to perform with. He has this kind of indescribable quality that makes him always compelling whenever he's on stage. He can roll with anything, you can put him in any situation, and he shines. He's versatile but always charming. Malleable but always dynamic. I've learned a lot from him and he will be sorely missed on Schwa.

The night felt really special. As far as I know no team has lasted as long as Schwa and none have progressed like we have, with members leaving and incorporating new ones. It was cool to see the three different era's of Schwa and the various improv styles and how they've evolved over time. Especially cool for me to see the second era of Schwa which was, essentially, the team I watched as a student which fueled my love of the art form.

I'm grateful to be part of such a unique, long-standing, and quality team. It's a joy and an honor to play with them each week. Long live Schwa.

No comments:

Post a Comment