Wednesday, June 7, 2017

History Repeats Itself

You tell me you might be in a relationship soon
with the guy you dated before you left
who was dating someone else when you got back
which didn't stop you from hooking up
but he wouldn't break up with her until now
because he was her boss and the job is done
you say he's never cheated before
and I ask you if he told you that
and you say no its something you've inferred
and this time, you say, you're both going to be wide open
and you hope to move in with him in two months
because you're not messing around
which makes me pause
and like I flash I see this whole misbegotten love affair
splayed out like a slow-motion six-car two-fatality wreck
blood, smoking metal, glass shards and all
disaster inexorable
but I, the impotent prophet, stay silent
because I know it will change nothing
for the heart knows what the heart knows.

Perhaps I may be wrong
I hope I am
Nevertheless I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment