Sunday, September 10, 2017

Chris Rock

Summer after freshman year of high school I watched Bigger & Blacker when it premiered on HBO and it's only slightly hyperbolic to say it changed my perception forever. Rock's aggressive but relatable, his astute consternation, his searing commentary was a type of comedy I'd never seen. Funny but with a message, with a punch. His takes on gun control, race, relationships(among other topics) illuminated things I'd never really seen or understood. He made me laugh but also drew conclusions and commonalities that made me see and understand the world differently, better. I was bolled over, stunned, up to that point nothing hit me like Bigger & Blacker. After that viewing I religiously checked HBO for a replay and then caught Bring The Pain by happenstance which hit me almost as hard.

After that summer I was a life long Rock fan, watched all his movies, devoured The Chris Rock Show and waited with bated breath for his two follow up specials 2005's Never Scared and 2008's Kill The Messenger. I even watched(and rewatched) his episode of MTV's Diary. I always love watching him but nothing really had the impact like those first two specials until recently with Top 5 which has that great blend of emotional truth, comedy, and bite that I associate with Rock. He's helped shape my taste and world view for almost 20 years.

A couple months back he announced his Total Blackout tour and I got tickets as soon as they went on sale. Tonight was the show. He's a hero of mine so I went into it with high expectations for what the show would be like and it exceed those.

Rock prowled the stage with his indelible energy, relayed his searing insight, and had the packed crowd laughing for an incredible 90 minute set. It was an experience I'll never forget. And I realized that he does two things that little to no comedians, or artists of any kind, do. He brings people together and he offers solutions. For as controversial as some of the topics he addresses may be he approaches them in a way that are relatable, that include rather than exclude, that make you feel you are a part of.  Regardless of race, age, gender, or class everyone was there to see him and for a brief and precarious amount of time we were united, we were a community. He also offers solutions to problems, some may be punchlines some may be absurd, but they are solutions, and sometimes they are simply straightforward honest applicable ones. He offers insight and advise, imparts real world knowledge and hard won experience. He doesn't operate from an ironic remove, his material isn't pedestrian, it has an edge and a purpose. You laugh of course but you also, perhaps, see the world more clearly.

1 comment: