Sunday, September 3, 2017

HP's Wedding

One of my oldest friends got married yesterday. I've known Heather, who I've always called HP, since 2000 when we started working together at a local day camp. We went on to do plays together in high school and have been friends ever since. The ceremony was beautiful and right outside the Fort Hunter Mansion overlooking the river. It was a relatively intimate affair and I got to catch up with some old friends, all in all a really wonderful celebration.

Mikey and HP were originally going to get married in Illinois where both their families are from. They were compromising with their folks to have a smaller wedding but with extended family invited. That kind of fell through and the result was they would get married in Harrisburg, where they live, with their parents and friends in attendance then go back west for a more typical family reception. Although I'm guessing how that all shock out might have been a little bit contentious I think the result was very cool. The majority of weddings, to me, feel the same, feel kind of innocuously public. So realizing that totally excluding extended and distant relatives wasn't an option but wanting a more intimate gathering they decided to do both. I thought that was a great compromise. And as a wedding attendee actually being able to interact and talk with my friend who was getting married, as opposed to a perfunctory hug and a brief exchange of pleasantries, I found it to have much more meaning. Hopefully its the beginning of a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment