Saturday, November 25, 2017

Service

Left to my own devices I can become pretty self involved. Increasingly concerned only with my life, it's stressors, pleasures, and distractions. Which ultimately is pretty thin and unfulfilling. People have suggested to me, as a way to live a full happy life, to be of service to others when I can. And whenever I do that, whenever I take that suggestion, I feel better. Being of service or helping others(whatever you want to call it) feels good, gets you outside yourself, plugs you into something bigger and more important. This can mean any myriad of things. Doing some kind of formal volunteering with non-profit institutions, helping someone move(ugh), making the coffee at work, doing something small for a friend or loved one- cooking, cleaning, an unexpected gift. Providing a hug or listening ear when its needed. Whatever it may be. I've found helping others(to whatever degree, in whatever capacity) is gratifying, provides some measure of worth, gives me value that can sometimes be missing in this social-media heavy, ego-stroking, envy-infecting, rat-race our current society can at times appear to be.

My mom broke her ankle last Friday so the holiday wasn't as active as in years past but it was a wonderful weekend. I was able to show up for my mom(and dad) and contribute in small ways, doing a little cooking and cleaning and running some errands. Nothing major, nothing terribly taxing, but I was there and I did what I could and I think it made a little bit of difference. And that is all important. I'm not a monk nor do I claim to be, I'm not selfless or full of some unflappable serenity, but I try to get out of the pointless morass of my own minutia as much as I possible. I do my best day-to-day(which can certainly fluctuate) and it helps to try to be of service to others whether they be friends, family, co-workers, or total strangers. And that can be as large as a six-figure donation or as small as a quiet smile. And when you do that, when you take that action, you can find not only relief but inspiration, not only purpose but peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment