Friday, November 24, 2017

'Lady Bird' A Review

Guest review from Nicole

As the lights dimmed at the Landmark Theater, and the previews rolled, I was highly skeptical of what I was about to see. I had been putting off seeing Lady Bird for the sole reason of Gretta Gerwig. Whenever I hear her name, I immediately think of Frances Ha, a movie I could never get on board with. I couldn’t relate. Frances Ha reminded me of a black and white version of the HBO show Girls, with less vibrators. It’s slow. It’s pretentious. It’s out of touch. So, I wearily settled into my seat next to Steve, and waited for another narrative about a tormented, misunderstood, upper middle class white girl, who just can’t catch a break. Oh, how wrong I was.

Set in 2002, Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson(Saorise Ronan) is a senior at a Catholic high school, eager to move away from her hometown of Sacramento by applying to art schools on the west coast. This film gives a complex look at her relationship with her parents(Laurie Metcalf as Marion and Tracy Letts as Larry), her best friend Julie(Beanie Feldstein), and two contradicting love interests, musical theater Danny(Lucas Hedges) and bad boy musician Kyle(Timothee Chalamet). We watch as Lady Bird navigates universal issues(sometimes unsuccessfully) like lying about economic status, humility, shame, sexual orientation, the need to be different, communication, and so on and so on. 

Of particular note, is the relationship between her and her Mom. I found their interactions to reflect real mother-daughter relationships, and I could very much see my familial relationship reflected on screen. Metcalf gives a multi-layered performance, giving the audience tormented peaks of Marion’s own traumatic childhood, while at the same time showing genuine care and connection with Lady Bird. Wanting what’s best for her daughter, is translated into an oftentimes unhealthy “love language” of arguing and belittling. The switch back and forth between the two is sudden, and feels honest. I was particularly touched with moments when they were not speaking to each other, obviously hurt by each other's silence. This struck close to home for me, and I found myself checking in with my own mother once the emotional dust had settled. 

Shout out to Jordan Rodrigues and Marielle Scott who play Lady Bird’s older brother Miguel, and his live in girlfriend Shelly. Giving these two important parts within the nuclear family, gives a fresh breath of air to a mostly white film. Their relationship in itself is portrayed as complicated and quirky, with a taste of older sibling knows best syndrome. 

I think everyone can remember being a teen saying, “I can’t wait to be older” or “When I move away…” and then discovering that age doesn’t really give you better answers, but the experience/journey does. Typically, we are presented these types of stories from the narrative of a young male. Watching this movie forces the audience to have an experience through the eyes of a young woman. It portrays teenage girls as smart, complicated, strong, and just as curious and hungry as young boys. I hope Hollywood takes note that the stories women have to offer are powerful and compelling, and that people are hungry to see them. 

Lady Bird is the coming of age story that I never knew I was missing. Finally, a realistic representation of a (white) teenage girl, written by a women and not a man. You got me Gerwig! You got me GOOD. 

Don’t Miss It. 

No comments:

Post a Comment