Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Fun Van

At some point growing up
my dad bought a full sized van
that someone, perhaps myself
as I was the youngest
or my sister who
was far more clever
dubbed "the fun van".

There was a TV
Captains chairs
a way way back
and a ladder bolted
on the rear door
many nooks and crannies
to explore and burrow into
hiding places for little treasures.
(including me)

For years we drove
cross-country
to family reunions
vacations and visits
coasting along in our
comfortable yet cumbersome
box on wheels
watching classics like
Adventures In Babysitting
and singing Dr. Hook's
The Cover of 'Rolling Stone'
as we ate mile after mile
on the way to Philadelphia
Phoenix, DC, Des Moines, St. Louis,
St. Germain, Menominee, Minneapolis
into the sunset of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment