Saturday, July 2, 2011

Work Friends

I've found out in last couple years that first impressions can be off. I've also found out that sometimes it takes a certain context to get to know somebody.

I first met Tisher in '09. I was going to meet Wes at the now defunct Bar Louie next to iO. I was coming straight from seeing 'The Cove' at the Landmark. On my way over Wes texted me "My friends Andrew and Jess are going to join us, cool?" Of course I said, sure, fine, no problem but I didn't really mean it cause I wanted to talk to Wes and I'm not great at meeting new people. I get there and the three of them are already there. I sit down and start absolutely gushing about 'The Cove'. I don't remember much about the conversation but I remember Tisher kind of ribbing/challenging me about the movie which of course I didn't like. We've moved in the same iO circles since then but haven't really talked until recently. We were done temping and got hired full time at Groupon and got sat next to each other, almost two years after our first meeting.

We started off just making jokes about customers, then having lunch together, and then talking about all our mutual stuff: improv, people we know, relationships etc. Tish has been a great friend in the past months. He always makes work fun and not a drag to go to. He also always has my back and will invite me to what he's doing if I have nothing going on. That trait above all else to me means the most. Always throwing out the invitation whether the intention be that it's accepted or declined. Tisher and I have seen a couple movies together one of which was the Pirates movie at the IMAX which I dragged him to.

It's odd when you find your friends and where.

Sometimes you just need the right context.

No comments:

Post a Comment