Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Steve and Joey's Movie Corner

Subtitle: 'Midnight In Paris' A Review
Me: You ready to do this?
Joey: It's 11:59 my man!
Me: So Joey why did you think "Midnight In Paris" was so amazing
Joey: well, not for the first time, but for the first time in a while, Wood's has found a credible blend of whimsy and wisdom. or rather, the perfect blend
Me: I'm gonna stop you right there. For me there was no blending, the past stuff was great I loved it. Hemingway, Dali great. But Rachel Mc and her parents were so terrible it was like they weren't real people. I didn't believe her and Owen would even get to a second date let alone engagement.
Joey: okkaay! wait a second! First off, let me start by saying part of my first sentence was plagiarized
Me: Boo.
Joey: I was hopin' you were gonna catch me or be like, you didn't write that.
Me: I didn't think you'd actually use the word 'whimsy.'
Joey: I've used it before.
Me: When?
Joey: On dates a lot
Me: Chicks love it.
Joey: Chicks -fil-a.
Me: Good, so what's your defence.
Joey: You've never met anyone like those people?!
Me: I've met people kinda like those people but Rachel was so bitchy, so clueless, and so mean.
Joey: They're all over the place! Yeah, but she wasn't always like that, you know, they had fun together or whatever for awhile.
Me: We never see that in the movie, that's assumed.
Joey: But they've stuck together because of convenience/lifestyle etc. No, there's glimpses they laugh together at the beginning.
Me: Boohoo white privilege.
Joey: They're just tired of each other, I should be so lucky!
Me: What was your favorite part of the movie?
Joey: Ya know, like some of it was a little over the top (they're behavior), but it got us to feel what we needed to feel (good job Wood man!) Oh! Without a doubt there was this point...I'm watching the movie, and i realize I've got this big dopey smile on my face and I'm loving it but I kind of can't believe how much fun I'm having with this movie and I was worried, is this just me? because I love Woody Allen, etc. and then they cut back to the 20's at some carnival, or party or something.
Me: It's a party.
Joey: And you see Owen Wilson, and he's doing the Charleston and he's not doing it right, and it's sloppy, but he's having like the time of his life and that sealed it for me Owen Wilson man, he really kills that movie (good way).
Me: Sure, the saving grace for me was the time in the past and the celebrities they encountered and the fun actors who play them.
Joey: But also, the "real world" was fun though too.
Me: No it was lame. Hemingway, for me, saved the movie If I were to write it Owen would have been in the past the majority of the movie. Also, Owen's kinda a shlub which works in the past cause he's like everyman but in the present it's like milk toast.
Joey: Wait, what?
Me: Soaking toast in milk is how old people eat it. When they don't have teeth.
Joey: Agree 100% about Hemingway, and I would've liked to have seen way more of the 20's.
(referring to milk toast) That's like Owen Wilson in the present?
Me: Yeah.
Joey: How so, Truffaut? (movie corner) He's awesome! I'd totally be that guy's friend.
Me: Was (movie corner) an ending?
Joey: No, no just an explanation for my weak question. What do you mean milk toast though?Me: I might be his friend.
Joey: He wrote Transformers, his character.
Me: But by the nature of his character, he doesn't really offer anything he's not interesting or smart.
Joey: Still, he's written a bunch of movie hits.
Me: He's just you know a bro.
Joey: He's smart.
me: No he's not.
Joey: He has to be.
Me: He has to plagiarize things he's just witnessed in the 20's at an art museum in the present and even that, who cares.
Joey: Otherwise he wouldn't be worrying himself with the past, and would just be living it up in the now with all of his $$$.
Me: I mean I guess he's searching for something more, something more than his provincial life, that's a Beauty and the Beast reference!
Joey: (movie corner) We should just write (movie corner) whenever we make a reference to another movie or anything film. But, you know he's smart, by where he's at and what he's doing right? I don't need to see him being smart.
Me: Give me a sum up Joey.
Joey: (quotes Dan Aykroyd tweet) "I'm really happy to be back in the trenches working on something real. The premise is good. The story is good. It looks promising."
Me: All the movies in the world...
Joey: We've seen em'!

No comments:

Post a Comment