Sunday, October 27, 2013

Beanpole

Beanpole and his wife Jen came into Chicago early to have lunch with Nicole and I before their flight back to Denver.

I met Beanpole in 7th grade, he was a part of the cool kids clique and I was the object of a certain amount of antagonism, not his but some of his buddies. We started hanging out in high school but didn't get close until senior year when we both inappropriately took AP Physics. A class built on Calculus fundamentals which neither of us had. I would go over to his house and we'd work late on projects we barely understood, we constructed a "slow roller" which ended up sliding quickly, a failure on both counts. He worked at camp with me for three summers starting after our senior year, we once staged a mock pirate fight for the campers- I was Red Beard the villain and he was simply Beanpole, the hero.

Beanpole is the most kind, sweet, warm, patient, supportive friend I have. The only times I've seen him upset are when he's playing or watching sports. He has been steadfast in his loyalty and friendship to me even though I've, at times, given him reasons not to. He's also got a great sense of humor, during the course of our friendship he has been the butt of numerous jokes, but he takes it in the spirit in which its expressed- brotherly love. He's also been there a lot when I've needed him. From helping put up my families Christmas tree to making posters for different improv teams, he's always ready to do whatever favor I ask if he can.

Last year when I was in very rough shape we were talking on the phone.

Beanpole: I'm sorry man.
Me: Sorry for what?
Beanpole: I'm sorry I can't be there...I'm here in Denver...and you're struggling...I don't know what to say...I just wish there was something I could do...I'm sorry I'm not there.

He apologized to me for not being around when I was the one who could barely return phone calls. He's got a big heart. Even though he lives across the country and we only see each other twice a year we have remained close. His friendship is precious to me and seeing him today made me want to get out to Denver and hike the mountains with him again.

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment