Thursday, October 3, 2013

Lean On Me

We recorded season 2, episode 2 of Bubble Boys tonight. Bill was back to reprise his role as Uncle Gustus and we had Griffen in to play a 20th century scientific icon. I've been sick this past week and a bit worn out. While recording I could tell it effected my performance, my reaction time and my facility with dialogue. I was kind of beating myself up during and after it for not being able to deliver. After reflecting though I realized the session went great. Bill, the consummate professional, was on from the moment he got in the studio, and Griffen who I don't know that well, he was originally Tisher's casting inspiration, was wonderful. I didn't contribute a ton but what I did was funny and moved the episode along and Tisher was in good form throughout, having Bill in the studio, his favorite teacher, got his mode going.

At this point I can get a much better sense of what we can get out of an episode during editing. So any uncomfortable or long pauses where we(mostly me for this one) take a moment to come up with the next line can get cut out. The final product is going to have a steady flow even if the session came in fits and starts.

It's a great feeling to be working on a project I love and to know that even if I have an off night I can rely on Tisher and Tim and our guests. It's a collaborative project, we all contribute, we all share the creative responsibility and from time to time some people are going to shoulder more of it, and thats OK. The integrity and the end product are still going to be great even if I had a poopy week. That's reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment