Thursday, October 31, 2013

Ghost, Ghost, in the Graveyard

On my way home from the Ghoulash show at the Upstairs Gallery I took a stroll through a graveyard. It seemed appropriate.

When I was young I was afraid of the night. The darkness. In the summer time the neighborhood kids would play Ghost, Ghost, In The Graveyard which is basically night-time tag meets hide-and-seek. I remember it feeling terribly dangerous and exciting.

It took me awhile to get over my fear of the dark but once I did it was gone completely. Graveyards never scared me, I think because I have always very much believed and wanted to experience something supernatural. They seemed a focal point, a good place for such things.

In high school I would periodically take dates on evening walks through graveyards. Not out of some morbid romanticism but because I felt comfortable there, it felt special.

Once I was driving out of a graveyard, it was probably 11 o'clock at night or maybe later, as I turned out I saw a dark haired woman in a long white dress. It was not Halloween. It took me a moment to process what a saw. When I looked back, she was gone.

I don't know if spirits congregate in graveyards. If I was one I wouldn't. But they may. They seem lonely places to me, not sad or scary, abandoned.

I like to walk through the stones. Visiting both ghosts and memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment