Thursday, April 13, 2017

Airports & Airplanes

I like the ritual.
Arriving to the airport early.
Printing out my boarding pass.
Having one final pre-flight cigarette.
Standing in line at security. Prepared.
Removing my belt and shoes quickly.
Efficiently placing my things in bins.
The thrumming whosh of the body scan.
The inbetween world of the gates.
Indulging in McDonald's breakfast.
The patient wait, pre-boarding.
Quietly and slowly embarking.
The window seat.
The benign power of the take off.
The city dropping away.
Splayed out in its chaotic beauty.
Travel time devoid of reception.
Circling the unfamiliar destination.
Known but not routine.
Landing with a controlled but bumpy thrill.
All the little steps that transition life from normalcy to holiday.

Even though I know
everything continues on
its like some bit of magic
where I walk outside time
and all the little hurdles
are incantations
allowing me up and out and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment