Sunday, March 18, 2012

Gene Wolfe

Maure got me a ticket to go see Gene Wolfe. He was presented with the Fuller award, a lifetime achievement Chicago literary award. Neil Gaiman presented the award. I got to meet him which was a trip even though I contributed nothing to the conversation. It's weird meeting some one you like so much. He didn't seem that different than everyone else although I expected him to be.

Gene Wolfe is my favorite author. He inspires, excites, and surprises me every time. He's old. He was ushered in and out of the event quickly so I could not interact with him. I was glad I was there. During his speech he said "You are all my friends, especially the ones I do not know." The event was all inclusive. Even if I did not talk to Gene he knew I was there and appreciated my fandom.

Gene is sweet, smart, and poignant. Everything I thought he would be. I don't want to meet him further.

He is perfect in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment